Who doesn’t love accomplishing something while they sleep? Talk about an effortless time-saver. Give these 3 overnight hairstyles a try to add some variety to your daily look and to check something off your morning routine’s list.
For Luscious Waves
The Headband Wrap
- With damp hair, start by taking an elastic headband and wrapping it around the crown of your head on top of your hair.
- Leave out a few face-framing pieces if you wish to keep them straight.
- From the hair that sticks out underneath your headband, take small half-inch or less pieces, twist them loosely, then wrap them over, then under, the headband.
- Follow this pattern all the way around the base of your hairline until every piece of hair has been twisted and tucked into the headband.
- Sleep as normal, and remove the headband in the morning. Finger through loose wavy curls and touch up the style as needed.
For Edgy Kinks
The Multitude of Braids
- For more jagged, kinky waves, try sleeping on many tight braids. Again, start with damp hair.
- Divide your hair by your desired part line.
- Divide your hair into small, one-inch or smaller sections and braid to the ends.
- Tie with small hair bands and continue until all of your hair is braided.
- Sleep normally, and unbraid in the morning. Simply finger through kinky waves and touch up the style as needed.
For Defined Curls
The Pinwheel Plan
- For tighter, more defined curls, all you need are some bobby pins and a little time. Start with damp hair again.
- Divide your hair into thirds from top to bottom. Clip the top two-thirds on top of your head out of the way.
- Starting with the bottom section, divide hair into small, half-inch or less pieces. Twist each piece, then wrap it around itself, winding down to your scalp, creating a pinwheel.
- Take two bobby pins and pin the pinwheel in place, sliding the bobby pins in perpendicular to each other, creating a cross.
- Continue this process until the entire bottom section of your hair is pinned into pinwheels. Repeat this process for the middle and top sections of your hair.
- Once you reach the top section, consider where you’d like your part to be, and choose placement of pinwheels accordingly.
- Sleep normally, and unpin in the morning. Then finger through curls to loosen, or brush through to create a fuller, looser look.